Friday, June 6, 2008

Some nerve

I'll start this out by saying that I know a 2-hour trip to Sam's Club with a 3 year-old and 1 year-old is entirely too long, so something was bound to go bad.

For the most part, the shopping trip was fine. Chris and I would tag-team: one person getting things off the shelf while the other kept children in check. The kids even had a break playing in a little wooden playhouse that was on display. But when it came to checkout time, that's when the meltdown happened. Mikhael was running around and ended up plowing over Kathryn knocking her to the floor. As Chris was paying I was trying to get screaming children back into the cart so we could get out as fast as possible.

Then we come up to the receipt check at the door. Fortunately there was only one person in front of us who was finishing up so I thought we'd be okay. All of a sudden this old man comes pushing his way to the front saying he only has one item. The checker takes his receipt and marks it and he starts walking out. At this point I lost it--throwing up my hands and commenting something along the lines of, "We have 2 screaming children and you think that your one item gets you to the front of the line???" I don't even know if he heard me or Chris in our disbelief, but I know the checker and customer service desk did.

Since I've had a chance to cool down, I realize that it probably took only an extra 30 seconds for us to get through the door and I shouldn't have gotten upset. But I'm still annoyed about how some people feel they are entitled to do whatever is for their convenience, without any regard to other's circumstances.

3 comments:

Ashlee said...

Some people... I would have been irritated too! Glad to see you have a blog!!!

Unknown said...

It's sad when people can't remember how diffcult it is with small children especially when their kiddos are all grown. The good news is I will be happy to take care of them on your next trip to Sam's. Oma
I'm commenting under Liz's google account

Hankblog said...

Le sigh...some people have an overdeveloped sense of importance with their one item. I can't say I can blame you for not being able to hold back your frustration.